SC - Medieval Coffee

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Wed Jun 14 12:31:57 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/14/00 11:59:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

> One "fact" which makes me doubt the authenticity of some of
>  these claims is the reference to salted coffee being consumed regularly in
>  the middle ages, and into modern times.

    I have heard a little bit about this book.  I am told it is an excellent
source if you are looking for in depth information about coffee, its
origination, its history, etc.

    I don't know if this applies to the "salted coffee" part, but I have run
across references in my research on sugar that originally it was called "grey
salt" or "brown salt" in some places.  Perhaps someone with more information
can tell us if these connect.  If so, then you have a description for coffee
with sugar (by a different name).

    Khadijah bint Mika'il al-Zarqiyya'