SC - questions

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Wed Jun 14 13:18:18 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/14/00 12:52:41 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com writes:

> Although I'm not sure what they mean by salted coffee, I have discovered
>  that if you have some coffee that is too bitter a small dash of salt
smooths
>  the bitterness out and makes a very nice cup of coffee. Try it if you don't
>  believe me. Not too much salt though. Just a tiny dash.
>
>  Gunthar

Gunthar, this makes sense in the instance, too. Having lived in Iran where
they drink coffee still to this day in this fashion I can understand why.
They brew the coffee over several times throughout the day, which can make it
quite bitter. The grounds sometimes are added to routinely, but never
emptied. They use giagantic samovars for this that separate the grounds in
settling fashion, but you still get that flavor. Salt added would smooth the
taste--which I've never found bitter no matter how late in the day I drank
it--just as eggshells do in the south (I mean Southern states of USA). I've
had with eggshells before and thought the taste familiar, so that may be it.

Lars