SC - Poppa's mustard (recipe #1 - Platina red)

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 15 04:34:39 PDT 2000

At 1:54 AM -0400 6/15/00, CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 6/14/00 8:06:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
>writes:
>
>  > <sigh> To who m? The tiny minority of the SCA. Inc. that composes the
>group?
>  >  The few eventers that come their way?
>
>Why, yes!  Because _that_ is the only group that matters at the moment the
>feast is held.  Those who require more effort simply won't go.  No harm done.
>
>  > Would you except such a lax standard
>  > in
>  >  calligraphy, illumination, costuming, and any o the myriad other areas of
>  >  interest in the SCA? This smacks not a little of the 'if they had it they
>  >  would have used or done it' mentality.
>
>Would I accept such a lax standard from myself??  No.  Would I accept it from
>others??  Certainly.  That is their choice, and they are the only one who can
>make it.  I can offer positive encouragement (but only if asked my opinion),
>or I can offer physical assistance.  What I cannot offer is to make the
>choice for them.

You are being inconsistent.

If "the only group that matters at the moment the feast is being
held" is the people attending it, and all that matters is what they
currently want, then why not accept that standard for yourself? By
saying that you don't, you imply that you believe that something else
does matter--perhaps that it is worth making the SCA better, which
includes educating the people who would enjoy an out of period feast
so that they will enjoy a period feast instead. But if you believe
that, then why shouldn't you encourage other people in that belief?

You keep jumping from the question of whether things are "all right"
to the question of whether you can "make the choice for them." Those
are wholly different questions. You write as if expressing an opinion
about what other people ought to do is the same thing as being a
dictator forcing them to do it.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/