SC - questions

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jun 15 07:08:25 PDT 2000

> A key phrase is ". . . and have it ground".  Not begging any questions
> since I, too, ground my first couple of mustard flours, but it is quite
> apropos to get pre ground mustard flour to use as ingredient since the
> spicers in much of medieval Europe would have been doing the grinding
> for us.

Can I ask for further elaboration?

Because I've been wondering about that very subject. Sarah Garland, in
_The Complete Book of Herbs and Spices_ says "The way to reduce mustard
seed to fine flour was only discovered in the mind-18th century; before
that the seed was pounded as needed in a mustard quern,or the pounded seed
was mixed with honey, vinegar and spices and formed into balls that could
be stored until needed." On the other hand, Plat says, "It is usuall in
Venice to sell the meal of Mustard in their markets as we doe flower and
meale in England," but he then says, "but it would be much stronger and
finer, if the husks or huls were first divided by searce or boulter: which
may easily be done, if you dry your seeds against the fire before you
grinde them. " Which is a bit confusing. My theory is that the smooth
ground mustard powder that is available from modern merchants is probably
not accurate: what you get when you grind it yourself (in mortar or coffee
grinder, at least) is of a much rougher texture.

If you have more information to justify the use of modern mustard 'flour',
I'd feel a lot more comfortable (because I admit to using half-and-half
handground and commercial mustard powder in my mustard).

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
   "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own"