SC - Cilantro and Pine Nuts Salad

Jane M Tremaine vikinglord at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jun 16 14:48:05 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/16/00 1:09:51 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
ddfr at best.com writes:

> To a considerable
>  extent, if you cultivate an ear for such things, you can separate the
>  real expert/enthusiasts from the fakers without actually knowing the
>  subject.

I guess my ear needs more cultivation, and I'm sure that it will come in
time. At the time I was being addressed, however, I had been playing less
than two months and had been "volunteered" for the assignment of cooking the
feast.

I think my reluctance to address the "expert" at the time probably had a lot
to do with that. And I see it in some new people now who have joined
households right off the bat, get into disagreements with them, and then are
told/implied/scared into thinking that they cannot play anymore because of
the household political disagreement. I've sat many people down that this
happened to and explained that households, as an actual being, don't exist in
the official structure of the SCA and that they can continue to play despite
not being connected to one. We now offer SCA101 classes here to help aclimate
people to what the basis of the SCA is, rules, regs, and all the ins and outs
to avoid these type of situations. But at the time I joined, the classes
weren't offered and I felt I didn't have the right or authority to dispute
the matter. Because of that, as I said, I treat new people very gently and
carefully.

Lars