SC - dream camp kitchens

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Jun 16 17:51:09 PDT 2000

- --- Lee-Gwen Booth <piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au>
wrote:
> [...]

Actually, by Victorian times they had stopped using
lead powder.  It was mostly a 18th century look.  The
Georgians also used arsenic to whiten the skin and
clear up the complexion.  In order to not poison
yourself, you had to consume the arsenic dry and not
drink anything for several hours thereafter.
Unfortunately, the arsenic, while giving you white
skin and rosey cheeks, would deposit itself in your
fat cells, especially around the kidneys, so that if
you ever lost weight you would die of arsenic
poisoning.  The things that they did in the name of
beauty.

Huette