SC - Current Pennsic Cookery Classes

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Jun 18 19:23:51 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 18 Jun 00,, that david friedman wrote:

> A while back, Lady Brighid posted the following recipe, which we have now
> tried out:
[snip]

I'm delighted that you did this one.  It looked very good, but I never got
around to redacting it.  As it is, I bake far too much sweet stuff for my
own good.

> Comments: good.  Too much filling per amount of dough for my taste,
> but that's what the recipe says. The piece of dough it is put on
> becomes part of the loaf, rather than remaining behind in the pan.

When I first posted the recipe, I recall someone mentioning a modern
recipe for a similar pastry, which is a cone-shaped roll atop a flat piece
of dough.  (Fluden?  Fladen?  Something like that.)  That gentle
indicated that the two pieces normally fused together in baking.

> I rolled this up as I do cinnamon bread, and it didn't really fit the
> make much sense of this. Anyone have any suggestions?
[snip]
> try rolling from the side of the rectangle rather than the end to see if
> I can get it more snail-like that way--maybe roll tighter ("more
> closed") at one end than at the other.

This was my thought.  If you roll it like a cornucopia, perhaps pinching
the small end together and leaving the wider end fairly loose, I think it
would tend to flare out as the dough expands in baking.  I do *not* see
that it would tend to curl into a spiral unless it was laid out that way.

> Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann