SC - 'This the Season, or "Sambucade with fresh elderflowers"

Etain1263@aol.com Etain1263 at aol.com
Tue Jun 20 16:32:41 PDT 2000

> NO ONE
> showed up with an open mind to period food.

I have to agree with the other poster, they did show up with
an open mind. Even if it was just because they were hungry
they knew they would get something good to eat.

I'm very sorry about the low turnout. I understand how much
that sucks. Perhaps it's the way the class was advertised or
it could be that there have been so many classes lately on period
food just as period food that many felt they already knew what
was going to be taught.

I think that maybe either narrowing the focus or making it more
open could have helped. For example, a class on sauces (surprise!)
that can be made easily and quickly. Or presenting a 14th Century
dinner with documentation and even archaeoligical evidence.

Or a class on making period camp food rather like Adamantius'
pilgrim's picnic basket. Or a variety of one pot meals.

It really is hard to say. What other classes were opposite yours?
There could have been a couple of very popular ones in your time
slot. If you have noticed in the past few Collegiums there have
basically been several classes on "Period Food" so I think the
narrowing aspect could have helped.

Anyway, I do feel for you. It really sucks. But maybe those three
people that showed up left there and told their friends about the
good food they got and how everyone else was a sucker for missing
it.

> As a matter of fact, the feast was being prepared on the table next to
> mine...they were peeling ears of corn...CORN!!

Ha! Yeah, I can relate. I got hamburgers and potato chips. And got
to stand in line with the ruling Landeds in the process.

Just when you think you are making strides you slip on a banana
peel.

> It was just very disappointing.

Chin up, my lady, just keep going and in a few years one of these
wags will come up to you and tell you about the great lunch you
fed him so long ago. All we can do is encourage.

Gunthar