SC - Fwd: Trial By Fire - Bright Hills Cooks Guild - Challange

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Tue Jun 20 23:36:23 PDT 2000

Balthazar declared:
> stefan at texas.net writes:
> > For instructions on seasoning iron cooking ware take a look at some
> >  of the methods and suggestions given in this file in the new FOOD-UTENSILS
> >  section of my Florilegium:
>
> Stefan,  I'm looking for information on nude underwater basket weaving, early
> to late period, with an emphasis on the Roman influence to the art, but not
> mentioning any Greek or Mesopotamian influences....  do you have THAT in your
> Florilegium???  Sheesh!  That resource of yours is absolutley mind-boggling.
> I have yet to see anyone come to this list with a question for which you do
> not have at least a tidbit of information.  Excellent work, my good man.
> Excellent!

Thank you, but yes, there have been a number of questions asked here, some
just in the past few days, in which I didn't think I had any files which
might be of use. In that case, I don't say anything. Since I am often
fairly noisy here, you just don't notice when I don't say anything. However,
if someone does provide some useful new info either on something that I
already have or not, then I may well save it for the files. Then perhaps
it will be available the question next comes up.

Also, even when I do point someone to a file, it may not contain any
information useful in answering their particular question. However, since
I'm not always sure of what is in each and every file, I will mention
a file if I think there *might* be something of use there.

Now, about that request for into on the nude underwater basket weaving.
The best I can do is this file in the CRAFTS section:
basketweaving-msg (25K)  1/28/99    Medieval basketweaving.

And I can prove nudity was period. See these files in the PERSONAL CARE
section:
bathing-msg       (21K)  2/14/00    Bathing and cleanliness in the
Middle Ages.
p-sex-msg         (53K)  2/ 2/00    Period thoughts on sex and sexual practices.

But I've been unable to prove that they were done simultaneously and underwater.
However, if some adventurous ladies would like to try some practical
archeology at
Pennsic and we can find a nice hot tub and some suitable reeds, I'd be willing
to try to recreate this. :-)

> Balthazar of Blackmoor
> ( I can see the reply now:  "While I don't have any information on underwater
> basket weaving, per se, you might want to look at this file in my
> Florilegium....arts-nude-msg    540K (07/08/97)    period crafts
> traditionally performed without clothing...." )

Well, I suspect we won't find blacksmithing, soapmaking or dyeing done
in the nude. :-)

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net