SC - Feast this weekend

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Tue Jun 20 23:36:27 PDT 2000

Ras questions me:
> stefan at texas.net writes:
> << If there was one nearby, much taller chimney that could be used to generate
>  the coals then, perhaps. But how do you get coals without having a fire
>  in the first place?  >>
>
> Until well into the 20 century, wood was the main source of fuel. We heated
> with wood and cooked with wood a major portion of my life as did everyone
> else I knew. Lead sheeting is not a necessesity. Where do you come up with
> some of these ideas, Stefan? :-)

Yes, picking the right wood can be a big help in minimizing sparking. However,
one of the original messages here talked about the chimneys being short. The
second poster replied that this would not be a problem if only coals were
used. My comment was simply to mention that to get coals, at some point, you
have to have flames. That assuming you only had coals is not a complete
solution.

I have not been to the site, nor have I seen pictures. I have no idea
whether the chimneys were short enough for them to be a hazard or not.

As to the lead, it was used on castle roofs. Not only does it minimize
the chance of fire from fireplace embers but it minimized the chance
of your enemy burnning you out by throwing burning brands with siege
engines or arrows. There are records of lead being melted and poured
on troops below. You see this in some secondary works as oil. Oil,
particularly cooking oil was too precious for this in most cases. But
you might well be willing to tear off some lead roofing for this. If
I had the time it would be nice to do more research on period castles.

Anyone more expert on period castles and fortifications want to
comment?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net