SC - Honeycomb (confectionary) - question to the list

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 23 04:01:41 PDT 2000

Hauviette suggested:
> This is just an observation;
> What if the scribe was trying to figure out/understand what the recipe said
> and drew it out in the manuscript as he/she read the recipe? Subsequently,
> the next copier of the text repeats the drawing , but then doesn't know the
> impetus for the first one.
>
> Kind of like margin notes?

I doubt it. parchment was expensive. Expensive enough that sometimes
old manuscripts were abraded off and the parchment reused.

But this was done on parchment, not for example the birch bark writing
material of Russia which we do have examples of doodles and children's
drawings on.

If the scribe was scribbling to figure out something, I would expect
him to use a stick to draw in the sand or a wax tablet.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net