SC - OOP - Ice Cream

J C Ronsen caleb at buffnet.net
Thu Jun 29 17:26:13 PDT 2000

Salut!

Was hunting in the library today and found some interesting
books...  The Art of Dining by Sara Paston-Williams. It was originally
published by the national trust enterprises ltd. in 1993 and is
destributed in the US by Harry N. Abrams, Inc.  I REALLY like what I have
seen of this one so far.  She gives the original, along with the source
right in the open (along with the date written for those of us who can
never remember) and then her redactions (which aren't that great, but the
original is there) and any pictures she has found that are relevant.  She
also talks about dining practices, but I just got home from work and
haven't looked at it yet.  The book also covers some post-period
confections and beverages, but she is real clear about giving dates.
However, there is a picture there that is intruiging...  "A dutch kitchen
sene by Joachim de Beukelae painted in the 1550s" so there's this tray of
waffles, and a long handled waffle-iron like you could purchase for
camping...  Didn't know waffles were period.  It doesn't look like
pastilles (SP), just rectangles with a grid on it like a... waffle.  Do we
have any period recipes for the batter?  Looks like they are eating
flounder too, or at least some other flattened fish with both eyes on top
of the head...  There's also a loaf of bread with some need oval shapes
pressed into it.

The two other books I found I'll have to translate out of German, but I
will try to get a recipe or two done from one of them each day (err, well,
I did say I would TRY).
The one I am starting with is Kuchenmeysterey (Passau: Johann Petri, um
1486)  By Rolf Ehnert.  It's a small book, but a facsimile of the
Kuchenmeysterey with an afterword.  copywrite 1981.

The other is Wildu machen ayn guet essen.... by Doris Aichholzer.
Published by Peter Lang.  copywrite 1999.

Cu drag,
Bogdan
Jeffrey Heilveil M.S.		      Ld. Bogdan de la Brasov, C.W.
Department of Entomology	A Bear's paw and base vert on field argent
University of Illinois
heilveil at uiuc.edu
office: (217) 244-5115
home: (217) 355-5702
ICQ: 34699710

Once one dismisses the rest of all possible worlds, one finds that this is
the best of all possible worlds.
				 -Voltaire, _Candide_