SC - Translating measurements

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jun 29 20:09:13 PDT 2000

I'm getting ready to try my hand at a period recipe for an upcoming
competition and have located a couple I'd like to try in the "Mrs. Sarah
Longe Her Receipt Booke C1610", in the back of _foolles and fricassess:
Food in Shakespeare's England_  One is "A white ffrigasy"- basically a
chicken dish.  The recipe itself doesn't seem difficult, until you get
to the "serve y wth Cippits" part.  I also found another reference, same
book in a Rump of Beefe recipe, to "then send it in with browne Cippits"

What are Cippits?

Also, one of the recipes calls for "3 leaves of mace"  I've never seen a
leave of mace- any guess how much this is?

Thanks

Alexandria