SC - "Dining with William Shakespeare"

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Jun 30 00:07:48 PDT 2000

Salut!
Skipping the intro, the first section title is:
Das erst teil ist vo faste speis.
The first part is fast food (as in food for fasting days...)

Item wilcu wurst von fischen machen.  So schuppe sie und back sy klein.
Stos sy in eine morscher thu wurtz.  Saltz dorczu.  Full dy dermer und
seud sy ab als fisch mit wein un mach ein gelbs pfefferlein daruber.

Item.  To make sausage from fish.  Scale it (the fish) and bake it a
little.  Bray it in a mortar with spice.  Salt Thereto.  Close it (?) and
serve it as fish with wine and make a  yolk peppersauce(?) over it.

So gelbs pfefferlein could be a yellow small pepper... whatever that might
be.  Wurtz seems to be the Fraktur equivalent to Wurz, which is spice.
Then again, this (the third recipe in the book) is the first one to spell
fish as fisch, the others all use visch.  Abseud (sep) is very close to
serve it up.  Stos is to push, so I used bray.  Sy seems to be sie, and dy
seems to be die.  Not having a fraktur dictionary is hindering me a bit,
but I love puzzles.  Obviously, I haven't had a chance to work this one
out in fish.  Casing is Darm, so I guess it's taken for granted
that you put it in casing, as you are making a sausage; or else dermer is
being used for darm.  I scanned the rest of the recipes looking for other
wurst recipes and there were none, so there isn't a good way of checking
this.  Throughout the recipes un is used interchangably with und.  Wurtz
un Saltz is a common occurance.

Looking ahead, Part II is: The other part is of meat
Part III: The third part is of egg food.
Part IV: The fourth part speaks from Salssen (sauces?)
Part V: The fifth, from eating and wine

So, the next installment will probably be Monday night.  I would love any
comments or suggestions you might have.

In Service.
Cu drag,
Bogdan

Jeffrey Heilveil M.S.		      Ld. Bogdan de la Brasov, C.W.
Department of Entomology	A Bear's paw and base vert on field argent
University of Illinois
heilveil at uiuc.edu
office: (217) 244-5115
home: (217) 355-5702
ICQ: 34699710

Once one dismisses the rest of all possible worlds, one finds that this is
the best of all possible worlds.
				 -Voltaire, _Candide_