SC - Waffles and Books

Rosalyn MacGregor rosalyn at worldshare.net
Fri Jun 30 15:33:25 PDT 2000

At 10:25 AM -0500 6/30/00, Rosalyn MacGregor wrote:

>My question, since I discovered the wonderful news about waffles being
>period, is would it be proper to put waffles on the table at a feast? Did
>waffles get served to nobles?

Something that is either a wafer or a waffle (I think originally the
same word) seems to have been the standard accompaniment to hypocras,
judging by Le Menagier. But it sounds from Le Menagier more like the
sort of thin, crisp thing one makes with a wafer iron. I haven't
figured out how one distinguishes in the cookbooks between that and a
waffle, given that the most obvious difference is how far apart the
two metal plates of the wafer/waffle iron are.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/