SC - Medieval Danish cooking??? / Harpestreng

Thomas Gloning gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Fri Jun 30 17:36:23 PDT 2000

At 9:45 AM +0200 6/30/00, Cindy M. Renfrow wrote:
>Jeff,
>
>IIRC, Le Menagier gives several recipes for 'crisps' batter. Waffles,
>wafers, crisps, whatever you want to call them are very old.
>
>Cindy

I think there are three different things here:

1. Funnel cakes (the Two Fifteenth Century Crispes, and various other
things elsewhere, such as mincebek in _Two Anglo Norman_. )

2. Wafers (served with hippocras in Menagier): Presumably waffle
pattern, but more like a crisp cookie, at least as I have seen them
made.

3. Modern waffles: Waffle pattern, but thick with a pancake like texture.

Off hand, I am not sure I have seen anything that is clearly made
like a modern waffle. One thing worth checking is whether there are
any surviving wafer irons, and if so if the separation between the
plates is thin, as in a modern wafer iron, or thick, as in a waffle
iron.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/