SC - olla podrida -- how to classify it / Lungenbraten

Thomas Gloning gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Tue Jun 6 15:39:41 PDT 2000

Gwen Cat said to Stefan:
<< I don't know how/where to classify it, but on the name - go with what
Thomas says...... >>

Uhh? Me? I am the last to know something about ... Anyway: I think there
are enough recipes and topics for a file

    olla-podrida-msg.html

in the Florilegium (I prefer to call it "Florilegium" instead of
"florithingy"; may I?):

We have several spanish recipes, at least one of them translated by Lady
Brighid, there are several German ones, a while ago we discussed the
arabic sinhaji dish as a forerunner of the olla podrida, perhaps we have
a near relative in the Dutch hudtspudt, we still have the yet unsolved
problem, why the dish is called "podrida" (there is nothing rotten), ...

An addition on _Lungenbraten_. The word _braten_ can mean 'piece of
meat' in the old language, too. According to Hopf, _Lungenbraten_ is a
variant of _lummelbraten_, and refers to the loin (lat. _lumbus_): piece
of meat from the loin, roast loin, sirloin (?).

This is really a LONG recipe.

Thomas