SC - Re: questions

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Mon Jun 12 06:04:25 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/11/00 10:35:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,"Mercedes of the
flame" < writes:

>  What makes a 14th/15th century feast a feast?  Is it recipe's drawn
>  specifically from that era?  Must it be from only one country or from
>  several unless otherwise specified?

Recipes derived from that era are considered generally eaten in that era. We
can't prove(we can only infer) that something was eaten in another era unless
we have reference to it happening. So a 14th/15th C feast would be derived
from sources of that period, and there are plenty, obtaining a copy of
Cariodoc's collection is an excellent and very inexpensive/attainable option.

>  What are the limitations on doing a new world themed feast?
>
>  (I think the bidding autocrat is going for a 'Columbus' theme)
This is something I have never worked with so I'll only say, you'll get good
advise from others on this list.

>  When should I be concerned about -exact- historic documentation?  Can use
>  estimated time frame documentation?
>
>  I see all these great links to online medieval recipe's but I'm concerned
>  about all the details that go into putting together a feast menu.
>
>  I want to do things right and have fun at the same time. I can't have fun
>  with all these unanswered questions in my head.
>
>  I look forward to some great advice very soon.
I have a fairly short document on the basics of preparing for a feast. I had
some other papers prepared by other head cooks, but don't have them available
to send electronically. If you would like the document I have please email me
privately and I will send it as an attachment. It lays out some advice on
setting a theme, preparing ahead using various methods, setting a budget etc

>  With eager heart and mind,
Now that is the key!>
>  Mercedes of the Flame

Best of luck,