SC - questions

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jun 14 00:31:51 PDT 2000

Ras declared:
> jenne at tulgey.browser.net writes:
> << I have a question that has bugged me for a while.
>  In the SCA, we concentrate on re-creating specific document period
>  recipes, but don't really pay much attention to period _menus_. Why is
>  that? >>
>
> I suspect the problem is with the cook. I know many including myself that
> work exclusively from a single manuscript for any particular feast.

Hmm. And how does working exclusively from a single manuscript get you
a period menu? Some would say this is only slightly better than saying
cooking exclusively with period ingredients gives you a period dish.

I don't think the problem is exclusively with the cook. Just as period
cooking is only now becoming more common in certain areas, as a whole
we are still only in the beginning stages of cooking a combination
of foods, particularly if you take seasonality of foods into effect,
that a period person would consider appropriate. I think we, as an
group as well as individuals, need to learn in steps. Things are
improving, although sometimes not as fast or as evenly as some would
wish. I think we should sometimes try to be a little more understanding
of other folks and the progress they have made and not always try
to beat them into our ideas of perfection.

Stefan

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net