SC - 'This the Season, or "Sambucade with fresh elderflowers"

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 19 20:36:20 PDT 2000

Corwyn writes:
>I can only get dried elderflowers... think it would work with dehydrated
ones?

Well, Glaedenfeld Centre has no shortage of them.  They are everywhere as
I have a policy of letting any plant that bears edible fruit or nuts that
comes
up around the site grow as it will, unless it is in the way of something.
I'll try
to transplant it even then.  Of course we are going organic here too.
Most elderflowers you see in the wild grow along roadways and railroads
and are very heavily contaminated with leads and chemicals from spraying.
I was warned not to use any of them some years ago.  It is nice to have
my own safe supply growing so profusely here at the Centre.  I have
huge thickets of 10 foot tall elderberry trees leaning over with fruit
and flowers.  I wonder if there is anyway to ship sprays of elderflower
blossoms out fresh.  They are very easy to harvest.   Are y'all using the
recipe in Pleyn Delight?  When I made it last time, the flowers made a l
ovely pattterning across the top of it.  You prefer to eat It warm??  I like
it
chilled like a cheesecake.  As an experiment, I made it in a springform
rather than a crust (a big deep one).  Everyone thought it was a
cheesecake and loved the elder flavour.  I suspect if there is no
drought this year, I am going to have elderberries for winemaking
out the wazoo!

Akim Yaroslavich
No glory comes without pain"