SC - mortars

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jun 19 22:19:04 PDT 2000

Allison commented:
> >> Is the iron ball and bowl period or later?<<
>
> Can't say about the iron ball, but archeologists have found plenty of
> ball-shaped stones and hollowed stones to be the grinding surface, so the
> procedure goes back to pre-historic times.  Your question would be "When
> do people with iron making capability begin forming round balls?"  Or
> check the beginnings of cannon making, which I think was in Italy late
> 15th C.

I had wondered about the iron ball, too. My opinion is that until late
in period, at least, the iron ball is unlikely because of the expense.
Iron was expensive through most of period. And to get an iron ball you
have to cast it. I think the lack of iron pots until late in period
points
to the expense of using iron and the use of brass sheet and iron sheet
(when you do find metal pots) points to the lack of casting technology.
Early cannon were made of bands of iron or brass held together with
metal
bands, like barrels and casks. Early cast cannons were brass, not iron.
Also early cannon balls were stone, not metal. These are general
comments
and I'm sure exceptions can be found. But what is affordable for
military
use is not always affordable for kitchen use.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net