SC - kitchen in a krak

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jun 20 00:06:06 PDT 2000

Margali said:
> It all depends on what you are burning whether or not it throws sparks. A good
> bed of coals suitable for roasting or simmering over doesnt tend to throw sparks
> unless you put something light or oily on [like paper, twigs, leaves or pine,
> oily cloth/paper, table scraps with lots of fat]

If there was one nearby, much taller chimney that could be used to generate
the coals then, perhaps. But how do you get coals without having a fire
in the first place? A lot of things you can probably get away with for
occasional use. But to do this day in and day out would seem dangerous.

But I seem to remember lead sheeting being used on castle roofs. I believe
that would prevent roof fires from sparks. Also, even if the lead were
not valuable that the victors would strip it from the castle, I'm sure
other industrious folks would later.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net