SC - kitchen in a krak

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jun 20 06:01:17 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/20/00 3:04:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< If there was one nearby, much taller chimney that could be used to generate
 the coals then, perhaps. But how do you get coals without having a fire
 in the first place?  >>

Until well into the 20 century, wood was the main source of fuel. We heated
with wood and cooked with wood a major portion of my life as did everyone
else I knew. Lead sheeting is not a necessesity. Where do you come up with
some of these ideas, Stefan? :-)

Anyway, different woods have different properties. Pine would not have been
used as fuel in a fire place. Hardwoods (cherry, maple, walnut, locust, etc.)
would have been used in varying amount and mixtures depending on the amount
of heat or lasting fire that was required. The art of using wood is
complicated but the knowledge was there until we switched to electricity and
gas. I am sure that a basic knowledge of the use of various woods can be
found in any survival guide, boyscout manual, or back to the land tracts.

Ras