SC - Liqueurs

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Tue Jun 27 14:09:28 PDT 2000

> And if you think whiskey needs to be casked to be whiskey, just try some
> triple run 140-proof White Mule straight from the Mason Jar.  If you do, the
> idea of aging whiskey in a cask becomes self-explanatory.

Never said Whiskey needs to be cask aged (Whiskey is derived from
the Gaelic for Aquavitae, after all), just that it is most commonly done so.
The Aquavitae in Digbie or Markham is a lot farther away from Macallans
and from Courvoisier, than they are from a flavored vodka.

The point I am making is that most (nearly all) commercial whiskeys and
brandys are aged and other flavors introduced after distilling ( either as
an artifact of aging in a cask, or by direct inclusion of other ingredients),
whereas vodkas are generally not aged and remain "white".
Most period recipes for Aquavitaes do not call for mellowing or aging,
but depend primarily on recipe for flavor. By the description of the
processes in the period texts I have seen, the Aquavitae is considered
done when it is "drawn" out of the still.

So when a recipe calls for Aquavitae, unless otherwise stated in the
recipe, my inclination is to use an appropriately made vodka,
IF I am going for a "period taste".

If I am just making myself happy, I'll use what I like.

Vodkas much like Aquavitae:
Definitely aquavitae-like:
Finlandia "21"
Krolewska
Soomska
Horobynova
Kremlyovskaya
Petrov
Special mention:
Clear Creek Eau de Vies

probably aquavitae-like:
Grey Goose Vodka   -French vodka(?)
Gree goose Vodka l'Orange  -French vodka(?)