SC - period pumpkin recipes?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Mar 1 18:36:16 PST 2000

lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

<<
 So, Medieval gardeners, how difficult and how fussy are these Italian
 gourds? I'm really clueless with plants. It they can't say they're
 hungry, or meow, or something, i often forget to "feed" them. I'm in
 NoCal (not far from Lord Cariadoc, but definitely a different
 micro-climate - not so hot, more cloud-cover. The Pinetree page says
 55 days, i assume (in my gross ignorance) that it's more or less how
 long they take to grow until edible...

    I only grew these one year, and they were certainly easy enough! Problem
was, they seem to be next-of-kin to kudzu, and completely took over the long
net trellis I was growing various squashes on................. And they do
get very large indeed if not picked! Think twisty baseball bats,
here............ ;-) They are much tastier small, though--I didn't much care
for the flavor of the large ones. These things are a LOT denser than US
squashes, though, which you have to adjust to when eating. They won't disolve
to mush when stewed, for instance, but remain separate chunks.
    Bottom line--make sure you have plenty of space, and some kind of trellis
if possible. Pick them very young, then play all you like! Also, around here
they followed the pattern of many other veggies and stopped bearing in the
hottest part of the summer. They started up again around mid-September, but
if I'd intended to serve them at the feast I was cooking that year I'd have
been out of luck...........

        Ldy Diana, who wishes her folks still had a garden to play