SC - Re: Alcohol in food (RANT)

B. M. Crumb kerelsen at ptd.net
Thu Mar 2 03:54:02 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/1/00 6:10:39 PM Eastern Standard Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

<<
 There may be places where that is true, but it isn't true in general.
 My record low price for linen, I think about a dollar a yard
 (admittedly, not terribly good linen) was from a fabric store in New
 Orleans. I've bought it in Chicago, New York, Philadephia,
 Boston--not as cheap as cotton, but not horribly expensive (i.e.
 $2-$5 yard). Certainly it is not as easy to find as cotton, and I am
 sure there are places where it is almost impossible to find, but not,
 by my experience, in a big city.

 David Friedman >>

    Yes, one of these days I'm going to go visit Mistress Christianna and
have her show me all the good fabric stores in Atlanta! Not mention the
bookshops and such....... ;-) But here in Chattanooga we are currently down
to *one* fabric store outside of WalMart, and it's nothing to write home
about. Maybe 3 or 4 bolts of linen in the Spring, usually too heavy for
undertunics and a bit light for overtunics--and priced around $10.00 or more
per yard. Not in my usual budget, I fear............ I do, however, have a
nice long piece of 100% *hemp* fabric I got from a wonderful online discount
fabric site, Phoenix Textiles, for $1.00 per yard a few months back! (They
are at: http://store.yahoo.com/phoenixtextiles/) Even after making a
Byzantine tunic out of it last week, I still have around 5 yards left, and
I'm having lots of fun planning what to do with it............ (It's too
heavy for undertunics, plus it's a lovely shade of rust.) BTW, Phoenix *does*
have some fairly heavy cream-colored linen/cotton blend for a bit under $4.00
at the moment that I have been eying covetously. But fabric isn't in the
budget this week--have to buy stuff for the dinner I'm cooking for my
mother-in-law's birthday! ;-)

                Ldy Diana