SC - Perspectives on Recipe Adaptation (was: ALCOHOL IN FOOD)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 3 00:39:35 PST 2000

David/Cariadoc wrote:
>In the Islamic case, I think it is pretty clear that the prohibition
>on wine was seen the first way--and extensively violated. But I have
>seen nothing at all indicating that the people who drank wine, even
>though it was forbidden, also ate pork--which suggests that that may
>have been seen the second way. In persona, I try to make that
>distinction by referring to wine as "forbidden by the Prophet's law"
>and pork as "unclean meat."

I can't speak about period examples.

But i spent quite a few years playing in a number of Indonesian
gamelans (specific type of musical ensemble). Usually the teachers
were Indonesian, while most of the musicians were Americans.

The Javanese group was headed by a well respected Javanese court
musician. His daughter taught dance. As are most Javanese, they are
Muslim. After one concert, all the musicians went to a Chinese
restaurant. I ended up being the first person the waiter asked to
order. Largely to be polite, i ordered chicken. All the Indonesian
Muslims order pork.

I have heard that Muslim travellers far from home may under certain
circumstances be free from the food laws. Perhaps i have
misunderstood, but i have heard that this is used as an excuse by
some Muslims in foreign countries to eat what would be forbidden at
home...

Anahita al-shazhiyya