SC - A-MAZ-ING labor-saving deevice

Diana tantra at optonline.net
Fri Mar 3 04:31:57 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/2/00 9:00:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> phlip at morganco.net writes:
>
> <<  (to paraphrase a queen's advice to her own executioners). >>
>
> Actually the Queen's advice to her own executioners was:
>
> I was a queen, and you took away my crown; a wife, and you killed my husband;
> a mother, and you deprived me of my children. My blood alone remains: take
> it, but do not make me suffer long.
>
> and....
>
> Courage! I have shown it for years; think you I shall lose it at the moment
> when my sufferings are to end?
>
> Marie Antoinette was everything a queen should be. Her execution was a shame
> on humanity and a travesty that I will personally never allow forgiveness for
> to the uneducated  asses who brought about her death. :-(

Fair enough. I'm curious, though, since most historians agree that her
words in reference to what the original postor was talking about (the
"let them eat cake" thing, I think), were, in fact, inaccurately
reported. Certainly the noble lady portrayed above would never have been
so crass as to suggest such a thing. It is reported that Her Majesty's
_actual_ words translate better as, "Well, why don't they eat pastry?"

Now, I'm not trying to bust any bubbles here, but I suspect both the
portrayals of HM's level of sensitivity may be designed to serve certain
political ends.

And years from now, historians will recall George W. Bush's heart jokes
to David Letterman as an example of his brilliant sense of comic
timing... ;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy