SC - period food cooking classes for children

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 19:25:53 PST 2000

Elysant at aol.com wrote:

> -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>
>
> Nanna said:
> >The term used is "krigsæble", literally "war apple"; I´m not sure what is
> >meant here. Wasn´t toasted bread sometimes used?
>
> I have several traditional Welsh wine recipes in which the yeast is
> introduced by spreading it onto toasted bread and then floating the toast on
> top of the brew.  My grandmother also used this method for her homemade
> wines.  I have not heard of using fried apples to do this before....

Yes, there are references to floating yeast spread on a raft of toast in
Digby. I think perhaps that in places like Iceland and Finland, grains
in general are much less of an agricultural possibility, so there goes
the toast idea. The principle is the same, though. But why fry the
apple? To kill any surface wild yeasts?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy