SC - Turkeys in Tusser

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 20:22:41 PST 2000

> > > Grass, thistle, and mustard-seed, hemlock and bur,
> > > tine, mallow, and nettle, that keep such a stur;
> > > With peacock and turkey, that nibble off top,
> > > are very ill neighbors, to seely poor hop.

Well, I don't know why I've never done this before, but I went and looked
Seely up in the OED, and came up with the following (the first is more
me, #4 is closer to the meaning in the verse, I suspect):

Seely - [W.Ger.; OE. saelig: - O Teut. saeligo-, f. saeliz  luck,
happiness. See SILLY] 1. Happy, blissful; fortunate, lucky, well-omened,
auspicious.  2. Spiritually blessed; pious, holy, good ME.  3. Innocent,
harmless ME.  4. Deserving of pity or sympathy; miserable; helpless,
defenceless ME.  5. Insignificant; mean, poor; feeble ME.  7. Foolish,
simple, silly 1529.

Christine Seelye-King