SC - private cooks at events

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Mar 4 15:13:29 PST 2000

owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<< Re: Feast Beverages >>

I am serving  a 12th C Irish feast Mar 25 and am considering serving a few
different things. I'd like the lists opinion.

Soft Cider, slightly warmed (maybe with some lemon slices, but I'm trying not
to have spices in it in order to have the drinks refreshing)

Milk - my references abound with the use of milk, cows were VERY popular,and
unless you are slaughtering them all, you're going to have ALOT of milk- But
would adults drink it? There are mentions of milk being drank by monks in the
monasteries of St. Colmcille (St.Columba) which is 6th C and of St. Adamnan
(11 C IIRC) Is it reasonable to conclude that outside of monastaries, milk
would have been served as a drink during a feast?

Chilled water- I wanted something fresh and light, seems to fit the bill

Any thoughts on this, or suggestions?

Hauviette

Mint water as a refresher