SC - Two Questions and Advice

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Mar 7 11:53:38 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 7 Mar 00,, that Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> Since I am deathly allergic to dairy, can I use rice milk instead?  Or how
> about alomond milk?

I have never cooked this particular recipe, but looking at it, I don't see
why almond milk would not work perfectly well.  Almond milk was used
as a period substitute for real milk, not only in Lent, but also when milk
was simply unavailable.  There are a couple of recipes in de Nola where
he instructs the reader to use milk (usually goat or sheep, sometimes
cow), and then adds, "or instead of that, almond milk, for that can never
be lacking".  The goat may run dry, the cow may be uncooperative, but
there are always almonds in the storeroom...

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net