SC - Traps?

Thu Mar 9 06:51:09 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 9 Mar 00,, that Linda Taylor wrote:

> I was looking through the illustrations of kitchen equipment and kitchen
> scenes from Bartolomeo Scappi's book _Opera, Dell'Arte del Cucinare_ 1570,
> as reproduced in the 1996 edition of Elizabeth David's _Italian Food_.

Many of those pictures are also available online at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food-art/

> Also, I remember someone asked about
> graters a while back - in the utensils section there is an item labelled
> _gratta casio_, cheese grater. It is a flat square plate marked all over
> with dots - I can't tell whether they are supposed to be holes punched
> through or something else, the picture is very small.

Here's an enlarged version:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food-art/cheese_grater.gif

One still can't tell if those are holes, but I can't imagine that mere
bumps in the surface would grate cheese effectively.  The last time this
topic came up, I mentioned several period Spanish recipes for drop
dumplings/noodles which are made by pressing the paste through the
rear side of a grater into boiling liquid.  So at least some graters had
holes in them.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann