SC - Re: Verjus

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Mar 9 10:40:39 PST 2000

Siegfried Heydrich wrote:

>     I don't care much for the idea of including the feast fee in the site
> fee - for many people, it sounds a lot like charging for what you don't get.
> And if you have 1,500 on site, I'd purely love to see how anyone is going to
> cook for and serve that many. And if you have no intention of cooking for
> that many, what are you going to do if (god help you) everybody gets a wild
> hair and decides to show up?

If you charge for feast tickets that you cannot possibly (because of
numbers) and therefore certainly don't have any intention of actually
feeding all those who have paid- this is called fraud. However, IIUC,
the combined feast/event ticket is for indoor events, which are unlikely
to attract 1500 people, with the exception of a 12th Night, which
doesn't necessarily have a feast.

Another angle though, is that it may or may not be legal to charge
someone for A, which they do not wish or cannot participate in (dietary
restrictions come to mind) as a requirement to participate in B, which
may be wholly unrelated. (I will admit the gov't does this all the time,
but they're the gov't.) The only semi-comparable analogue that I can
think of that is legal is a cover charge or the two-drink minimum at a
club to go hear a good band. But there you have the option of soft
drinks if you don't want a scotch and soda...

>     And I most certainly agree that the feast budget should be completely
> separate from any of the other 'crats. When you start fiddling with budgets,
> noses get out of joint and the accounting goes to hell really fast.

Yes. Keep the food accounting seperate until the totals are done. And
those recipts should be held/handled only by the responsible party for
the feast, until totals are done.

>     In Trimaris, feast is separate from the site fee. The Kingdom, BTW,
> keeps 75% of the gate, but any profits made from feast are the host groups
> to keep.

I find this surprising. In An Tir this is true only of Crown Events (the
two Crown Tourneys and the Coronations) and partly true for our portion
of An Tir/West War. Other events the branches are encouraged to give a
'tithe' but not required to. Are you sure that it is %75 of every event?

'Lainie