SC - Speaking of Birthdays

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Thu Mar 9 20:16:05 PST 2000

Siegfried Heydrich wrote:

>     Handing out tokens and being able to enforce them are two separate
> issues; you'll always have crashers that will tell the servers that they
> 'forgot' theirs back in camp, but they paid, uh-huh. The servers don't want
> to create a scene, and tend to be trusting souls (not enough toothmarks on
> their asses yet), and in a lot of cases, their 'friends' will vouch for
> them.
>     I've tried assigned seating, complete with place cards, and still had
> crashers. And the worst part is that you really don't have any way of
> knowing for sure how many crashers you have, given the inherent chaos of a
> feasthall. That's one of the reasons I prepare for more than anticipated.

This is VERY, VERY sad. In this Society that prides itself on honor, to
have people behave like this?

I would be mean. I would get up a bouncer at the door. No token, no
entry. Forgot it in camp? I'm sorry- you'll have to hurry then, won't
you. Friends vouch for you? That's nice, but rules are rules... maybe
their friend will run back to camp to fetch it then!

>     I've always wanted to post a very prominent notice that any crashers
> found will be hauled up before the High Table and publicly humiliated by the
> King - or worse, the Queen. They will then be given the choice of being
> thrown off site, or cleaning up the kitchen, and repeat offenders will
> become main courses in subsequent feasts. (My plan is so sublime, I shall
> achieve in time, to make the punishment fit the crime, the punishment fit
> the crime . . .)

There is no excuse for crashing in the SCA. We aren't talking $50
tickets for the Stones concert here. We're talking (usually) less than
$15. We have so few real rules- dress up pay your site fee, and behave
yourself. If they can't comply with a minor issue of paying for the meal
and presenting the token, then they are at best lacking in the baseline
grade of honorable behavior. Who needs 'em around? Bounce 'em. Of
course, I like your idea of making them grovel before the crown and then
clean the kitchen...

'Lainie, who is mildly irritable because of hot water issues in the
house this evening... TAKE NO PRISONERS! Flush that toilet while the
shower's running!