SC - Re: 12th C Anglo Norman ravioli

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Mar 11 17:14:05 PST 2000

Adamantius said:
> Christina Nevin wrote:
> > Oops, yes, it is (first manuscript = late 13th, second = 1320-40). So has
> > someone got a 12th century Anglo-Norman cookery collection? I thought these
> > ones were the earliest?
>
> In her notes, Connie Hieatt says there is one known, earlier source,
> that being the earliest version of the "Harpestraeng" text, source of
> such goodies as Lord's Salt and 'Icelandic' Chicken in Pastellum, dated
> roughly at some time prior to 1244 C.E., IIRC.

Although I don't think this will help in your quest of AN ravioli,
some of the discussion and more details on the "Harpestraeng" series of
texts can be found in this file in the FOOD-BOOKS section of my files:
Harpstrang-cb-msg (34K) 10/19/99    The Harpestraeng cookbook. The
oldest
                                       cookbook in the Western world.

I believe there are a few recipes given in this file, also.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net