SC - Rayne's water buffalo

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sat Mar 11 21:02:32 PST 2000

Many words are learned from "unofficial/official" reading material.  i.e. The
Known World Handbook.  On Page 5 starts the chapter "Who's Who - and What's
What".  In this chapter is the following definiation:  Troll Booth:  The
place where site fees are paid, waivers singed, final directions to the site
distributed (if not at the site itself). and other administrative details
attended to.  Where you find Troll Booths, you often - naturally enough -
find "Trolls" working them.  Term used in some Kingdoms.

I was never a SCI-FI person and seldom read fairy tales (I read Aesops's
Fables and various Mythology to my kids when they were young), but I always
thought the term came from the Billy Goats Gruff story with the Troll
demanding to eat the goats (or the next one in line) for passage across the
bridge.

It is also in the Known World Handbook where the words "feastocrat" are spelt
out for every newcomer to learn (see Chapter "A Beginner's Feast Manual").
Most groups have this book available for newcomers to check out and it is
usually the first book newcomers are recommended to get.

I do know that many Kingdoms and groups make their own literature, but until
the SCA "bible" is updated (or if it is - I need a new copy, mine is falling
apart) the progression of the Society will not be reflected in the reading
material that most newcomers get their hands on.

Just my humble opinion. (hmmmm, who else's would I have?)   :-)

Rayne

In a message dated 3/8/00 11:13:22 AM Central Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< > I think they use "troll". The justification, last time I saw this
 > > discussed, was that certain terms, among them being "autocrat" and
 > > "trollbooth", were mandated by Corpora (whether this is still the case,
 > > or ever was, I don't know) and while this was considered regrettable, it
 > > wasn't worth making a fuss over _that_ particular issue.
 > >
 > > Adamantius

 Believe what? That the SCA uses certain terms which are undeniably silly
 but are retained for common-denominator ease of communications? Like
 "autocrat"? Having finally located and checked Kingdom Law, I see now
 that there is no reference to troll, but quite a few usages of the word
 "autocrat". My use of the word "mandate" may have been misleading, but I
 believe the Corporate requirements for an event notice include at the
 least, the word "autocrat", which makes it, effectively, mandated.
 "Troll" is questionable, but then I did say I didn't know if this is
 still, or ever was, true.

 Oh, the Brooklyn Bridge is no longer mine to sell. Got some cash for it,
though...

 Adamantius >>