SC - Competition entry

allilyn@juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Tue Mar 14 15:32:48 PST 2000

Redon, Odile; Sabban, Francoise; & Serventi, Silvano. _The Medieval
Kitchen, Recipes from France and Italy_, Translated by Edward Schneider.
The University of Chicago Press, Chicago & London.1998.

This was originally published in French, then German.  I have a copy in
German which my kids in Stuttgart sent me; it has twice the colored
illustrations of the English version.  Odile Redon is lecturer at the
University of Paris VIII Vincennes a Saint-Denis.  Francoise Sabban is
lecturer at l'Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales in Paris.
Silvano Serventi is an independent researchers.  Originally published as
La gastronomie au Moyen Age: 150 recettes de France et d'Italie,
copyright 1993.

ISBN 0-226-70684-2 cloth.  Photos courtesy of the Bibliotheque Nationale
de France, Paris.

There is a Foreword by Georges Duby.  Contains portions re Histories and
Tales from the Kitchen, Medieval Cooking Today, Some Menus, Note on the
Presentation of the Recipes.

In the English edition, the original recipes are in a group at the back
of the book.  The English translation, the authors' notes and their
redactions are the main body of the book.  I consider it an excellent
starter book, since the novice can make their redaction to try it, then
'futz' with it if necessary to come a little closer to a period version,
if the redaction seems too modern.  It's going to be interesting to
compare their notes on a recipe with Scully's notes on similar recipes in
his new _Neapolitan Collection_.  Their recipes from Martino are taken
from the _Libro de arte coquinaria_, a later version of the Neapolitan.

On the cover, the English cost is listed at $32.50.  I think I bought
mine from Poison Pen Press.  devra at aol.com.  Devra can let you know the
current cost.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com