SC - Re: SCA Dinner & Court Schedules

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Thu Mar 16 08:47:23 PST 2000

There were a number of food exhibits at the recent Atlantia Kingdom A&S
event.  One gentleman is working on translating and redacting period spanish
cookbooks.  He had four items -- two mustards, a baked custard, and a
yogurt-like spread.  He brought cooked pork cubes and toothpicks to try the
mustards on, forks and napkins for the cooked custard, and a nice brown
bread for the spread.  He also had the original texts he was working from,
his translations and redactions, so you could (a) taste the product, (b) see
where it came from and (c) see how he got from the original text to what was
in your mouth.  Very nicely done.

Similarly, there was a display next over of items from a recent coronation
feast.  There were several items -- a chicken pie, a fig pastry, and some
gingerbread.  Each item had suitable utensils and there were napkins.  The
display included the original recipe text, translation, and redaction.
Again, you could taste the product, see the original source, and see how the
displayer got from one to the other.

Note that this was a display, not a competition.