SC - Competition entry

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Thu Mar 16 09:00:29 PST 2000

- ------------APFM24235010

I am not convinced that those who are nervous (and I happen to be one of them) about genetic engineering believe that the food they are eating now is exactly the same as that which their ancestors consumed (although, given that I always overestimate the presence of common sense....).  What I have seen in the debate has been a worry about crossing the animal/plant line.  I am very uncomfortable about the thought of strawberries which contain flounder genes (as, indeed, might be any cook who had the now infamous "Her Grace" at an event!).

Gwynydd - Ynys Fawr, Lochac, Kindom of the West

At 2000-03-17 01:19:51.656000,
Maggie MacDonald (maggie5 at home.com) wrote:
> --=====================_412212469==_.ALT
>
> At 07:30 AM 3/16/00 -0500,RichSCA at aol.com said something like:
> >To you (really) believe that the high-yield produce that we get
> in the
> >grocery stores today are just like they were before modern
> science "improved
> >them".  i.e.  The huge red apples, oranges, carrots, beets, etc.
> Do you
> >think the flavor is just the same?
> >
> >Now my Uncle (before he died was in charge of the University of
> Arizona's
> >Farm in Mesa, Arizona) he worked on improving various strains of
> stuff
> >(mostly citrus) But I remember that he did have this THING for
> "ancient
> >seeds" and grew stuff in his home garden.
> >
> >Rayne - just wondering (and, who will sometime this morning dig
> up that Food
> >in Art book and look at the pictures again)
>

> Along with that, have you seen all the screaming regarding
> "genetic
> engineering" of food??? All these people who want NOTHING to do
> with food
> that has been *GASP* TINKERED WITH!!
>
> Well, then what the **** have these people been putting in their
> salad all
> their lives? The tomatoes, the carrots, even LETTUCE for pity's
> sake, NONE
> of that stuff was in that form in period. *snort*
>
> Oh well, let's not disturb their pleasant little dreams that they
> are
> eating completely natural stuff as nature intended.
>
> Regards,
> Maggie MacD.
> SCA-Cooks".

> =========

 Send Amazing Cards FREE by e-mail with
 FREE e-Gift and FREE decoration:
 www.mini-card.com/index.asp?referer=fm1
 Get your own free email account at
 http://www.freemail.com.au/ now part of the
 Webuser.com.au independent portal. Visit at…
 http://www.webuser.com.au
- ------------APFM24235010--