SC - Digest 2014 - Food at A&S Competitions

Martina Grasse grasse at mscd.edu
Thu Mar 16 14:56:15 PST 2000

- --part1_61.20b09f5.2602bb8b_boundary

Here is another answer to the grape juice versus wine question.

Guillane

- --part1_61.20b09f5.2602bb8b_boundary

From: "james gazaway" <vulpes9 at hotmail.com>
To: GUILLANEDV at aol.com
Subject: Re: SC - Byzantine Bread Stamps
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:43:28 GMT

Greetings to all from Sarajevo, Bosnia!
   Okay, Several items have come to my attention on this list.  Taking them
one at a time, lets start with the last supper or the eucherist.
   Was it wine or just grape juice that Jesus used?  In the greek texts,
they all agree.  The term used means, "fruit of the vine."  The term for
wine is not used nor is the term for just grape juice.  Fruit of the vine
can refer to either a fermented or non-fermented beverage.
   In the 1st century they did have a process for preserving grape juice
without fermentation for up to a year.  However, this was an expensive
proposition.
   Bottom line: we do not know for 100% certain which was used.  There are
good arguments for both sides.  So it come down to a matter of personal
choice and interpretation.
   That said, remember that the wine served in the 1st century at meals,
etc. was often about 6% to 10% alcohol.  Usually this was cut with water in
a 4:1 ratio of water to wine before it was served.  The result is that you
wind up with a wine that is only about 3 to 5 proof.  A good bit less than
the 10 to 18 proof wines that grace many of our tables today at mealtime.
   As for bread in modern services, many churches are using whatever is
available. Some still requite it to be unleavened bread.  To be unleavened
it must be made without yeast, shorting/lard, or salt.  Basicly it is just
plain flour and water.  Not to apatising or imaginative, but it works for a
quick mix and cook item.
   And lastly, a Baptist christening.  While there are officailly 47
different kinds of recognized Baptist groups out there in the US today, none
are known to do "christenings."  Many though will do a child dedication
service, which is actually what a christening is.  The dedication service is
the same ceremony as a christening, just without the water or reference to
baptism.
   Hope this all helps.  Take care.
Yer Humble Servant,
Ld. Jonathan Andrew Sterling