SC - Competition entry

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Thu Mar 16 21:08:07 PST 2000

    We just did the fair as private citizens, and the King could not prevent
us from doing that, although he ordered that no other groups in the Kingdom
could participate officially either. He also forbade any light or heavy
weapons demos. This put a serious hurting on a couple of shires that were
going to be doing their own fund raisers there.
    As it worked out, the fair was a smashing success anyway, and we raised
a great deal of money for the children of the County. The fair was a
non-profit fund raiser for the Kiwanis community service programs  (Shots
for Tots, etc). The local shire had hosted it for 4 years before the King
shut us down as SCA participants.
    Unfortunately, the SCA, which was beginning to be seen by the powers
that be as a responsible, civic minded group of enthusiastic volunteers,
went back to being seen as a bunch of weirdly dressed hippy cultists
instead. The ripples are still being felt on this, I might add. The SCA,
which has participated for years in the Largo Ren fair, was not invited back
this year, and I'm very much afraid that there will be others as well where
the SCA will be persona non grata. The people who run these things are a
cliquish bunch, and talk among themselves a great deal . . .

    Sieggy