SC - Competition entry

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 16 21:15:17 PST 2000

>Here is the promised reference of the use of birch sap as a beverage
Thank you very much!

>Several questions: What are the following ingredients/terms:

>malieno ( I know it's a berry, is this anything we know by another name )?
Raspberries (yum!)

>Visnova ( ditto )?
Possibly cherries, <vishnovie> is the adjective form for "cherry" and
<vishne:vka> (the e: is a "yoh" sound) is cherry brandy.  It could be a
transliteration problem in the original.

>Rodina ?
Currants <smorodina>

>The fourth mead is called cherevnikina, which is made of the wild black cherry
Well, <cherivnukha> means "bird-cherries", which are probably a wild
cherry/berry.  The "cheriv" part means "deep red."  I think two types of
cherries/beries are being distinguished here (visnova and cherevnikina).

>Does the Domestroi mention "Berozevites", can the recipe be posted?
Haven't found it yet, but it is late and I am tired.  Will keep looking.

- --Yana