SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2013

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Fri Mar 17 14:47:13 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/16/2000 8:21:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tinyzoo at aracnet.com writes:

<< The very few Big events that I have been to, when there was a feast served
 it was always ONLY for the crown and entourage.  NEVER open to the
 populace, even for a fee.  I remember once there was this impressive HUGE
 roast beef in a delicious smelling ... au jus? that permeated the entire
 encampment.  I inquired about it, and was treated rather shortly and told
 that it was ONLY for the Corwn and Nobles.  That the peasantry would be
 allowed to purchase a bowl of onion soup if they had signed up ahead of
 time.  (We had not, because we knew nothing of it!)  It was rather
 disapointing, and seemed exclusive and... clickish.  I think it is one of
 the things that had soured my husband's taste for the SCA. They claim it is
 open to everyone, and indeed everyone is welcome to pay the grounds fee and
 walk around and look, but you have to be a special member of "the club" to
 really take part in the extra fun stuff. >>

I can certainly understand both your and your husband's reaction in this
case.  This is one of those interkingdom anthropology things, though: I have
been in the SCA almost 11 years, and have never encountered this situation.
Here in the East, almost evey event with the exception of large wars has a
feast.  Said feast is advertised ahead of time in the event announcements and
anyone is welcome to participate in it as long as they pay the required fee,
and in some cases make their reservation before the specified deadline.  And
while there may occasionally be a single special item, or a special
presentation of an item, for the Royaltyand those at high table, rarely is
the menu for the populace even mildly different, much less drastically
different, from that served to high table.  The exception to this would be an
"above the salt;below the salt" feast, wich is advertised as such;
effectively, you can choose topay the higher price for a fancier menu, or the
lower price for a less elaborate one, but again each is open.  There may be
limits on how many people total can be served the feast, either due to
seating limitations in the hall or to the number the cook is willing to cook
for, but who gets those reservations is primarily on a first come, first
serve basis.

And around here, anyone, rank newbie or not, may pretty much try anything out
with the exception of combat, and even then they can often borrow armor and
weapons and try a little one on one with someone, just not get involved with
a tournament or melee.

Brangwayna Morgan