SC - salty bacon

Marian Rosenberg Brucianna at washcoll.edu
Fri Mar 17 20:37:43 PST 2000

> Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 21:58:07 EST
> From: DianaFiona at aol.com
> Subject: Re: SC - Speaking of Birthdays
>
> In a message dated 3/16/00 5:37:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> Brucianna at washcoll.edu writes:
>
> << >
>  > It's Spring.  Get an herb and wild plant book, with good illustrations,
>  > out of the college library, and go hunt for a salad.  Let us know what
>  > you find that resembles European wild salads.  Everybody has to start
>  > somewhere.  (And keep your shoes on out in the wilds).
>  >

>  I've been eyeing the hundreds of daffodils starting up out of the ground
>  next door to me.  I have to find out who owns that lot and if they'd
>  mind me snagging a few for a salad or ganishes.  >>
>
>     ACKKKKK!!!! No, *Don't* eat the daffodils! Daffodils are poisonous! There
> are many flowers that *are* edible--violets and pansies come to mind for
> spring--but be sure to check carefully in a reliable herb or gardening book
> first to make sure the ones you want to try are safe.

The yellow flower with the raised center bit thingy that also comes in
miniatures that you see in the grocery store is a daffodil.  However,
I've got the wrong name.  I'm thinking of the orange/yellow flower with
the streaks of color down the center of the petal, saffron colored
pollen.  Tastes like fresh lettuce.  Anyone have any clue what I'm
talking about?