SC - Birthdays and Daffy Dills

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Mar 17 20:38:58 PST 2000

<<I say good luck on her endeavour.  I believe in inculding all who want
to be a part of the dream, but I believe that it is unreasonable for one
person to claim a right to demand that a
feast be changed just beacuse they are allergic to something.  If they
are
allergic to something, it is their responisbility to avoid that
substance.>>

	In the normal course of things, it wouldn't make sense to alter an
entire feast for one or two people.  HOWEVER, if my shire had the honor
to host Their Majesties of Calontir (whoever that might be at any given
time) and one or both had specific dietary needs, allergy to mushrooms or
raspberries or was diabetic, you can BET that I would alter the feast so
The Crown could eat the food I prepared.  I can't imagine anything more
horrible than to have mushrooms in multiple dishes in several courses
only to find that the dishes served to my King and Queen couldn't be
eaten by one or both.  :shudder:

	Also on this thread people have spoken about looking for another recipe
from another source to serve that didn't have the ingredient to which
someone might be allergic. What if you wanted That Specific Recipe
because it fit the theme (or other reason)?  I would agree that you
wouldn't want to present that as the original recipe - but wouldn't it be
acceptable to say that this is an Adaption of a recipe from (name of
source).  One could specify that the original called for X ingredient and
you substituted Y because of a dietary restriction.  For example if I
could get my mother to a feast, I  wouldn't want to feed her a pie
sweetened with sugar - she is a diabetic.  Could I not say this was an
adaption from (name of source) and note that this pie was sweetened with
fructose, or honey and orange juice or aspartame to accomodate those
unable to eat refined sugar?

	I think this is an admirable task and if a recipe book, formal or
informal, does become available, please let me know.  I would be
interested in obtaining a copy.

Francesca