SC - Sieggy's "Siege of Antioch Memorial Dinner"

RichSCA@aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Sun Mar 19 06:02:38 PST 2000

Should I take it that the ex-boyfriend is not a "friend" to onions??  :-)

The information you asked for is:

Onions, Onions, Onions (Delicious Recipes for the Worl'd's Favorite Secret
Ingredient
by Linda and Fred Griffith
Copyright: 1974
Published by: Chapters Publishing Ltd.
                     2031 Shelburne Road
               Shelburne, Vermont  05482

ISBN:  1-881527-54-9:  $14.95

Thought this interesting: In the Introduction Section the author writes:

"The Israelites partook of Egyptian onions before Moses led them into Canaan.
 In the Book of Numbers, in the story of the hardships of the odyssey, the
Israelites speak fondly of the foods they had enjoyed:  "We remember the fish
which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the
leeks, and the onions, and the garlick".  Three of the six things mentioned
were alliums.

Centuries later, Pliny the Elder, Rome's keen-eyed observer, wrote of
Pompeii's onions and cabbages before he was overcome and killed by the
volcano's heat and fumes.  Excavator's of the doomed city would later find
gardens where, just as Pliny had said, onions had grown.  The bulbs had left
behind telltale cavities in the ground.

Pliny wrote of foods, he did not give quantities or cooking techniques.  That
chore fell to Apicius, a Pliny contemporary.  He compiled a 10-volume
cookbook that guided cooks for a thousand years.  And, yes, he knew his
onions. Actually, he knew his bulbos, the Latin word the signified all of the
bulbs that were used in Roman kitchens and by Roman apothecaries....  As
translated by John Edwards in the remarkable "Roman Cookery of Apicius, the
recipes read so well that you might want to try them."

hmmmmmmmm...

Rayne

<<
 RichSCA at aol.com wrote:

 > But hey, I just got a new cookbook that is now my
 > favorite.  It is called Onions, Onions, Onions.  Tells the history of
onions.
 >  Has dialogs with onion scientists, growers, etc. (and after reading about
 > all the scientific altering of onions I wonder _a little_ how close
"period"
 > onions are)  And wonderful recipes.

 Would you please post the bibliographic info on this book? I'd really
 like to put it on my list of Books To Buy- because I'd like a copy for
 me, and also because I think it would make an excellent gag gift for a
 certain ex-boyfriend... ;-)

 'Lainie >>