THAT IS ENOUGH!!!! was Re: privte: Re: SC - Lady Seaton'sProjectofo

David & Sue Carter drcarter at bigpond.com
Mon Mar 20 01:03:29 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/19/00 8:18:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
CorwynWdwd at aol.com writes:

<< The only mention of French marigold
 (Tagetes patula) and African marigold (Tagetes erecta) are for companion
 planting to repel insects and for dyestuff. While there were no obvious
 warnings put forward, I tend to want to err on the side of caution. AFAIK,
 they aren't edible. Your mileage may vary.

 Corwyn >>
    I don't have any hard data on the edibility of the specific varieties you
mention, but there are several types of marigolds that are commonly sold as
edible herbs. One of the best know is Tagetes lucidia, which tastes very much
like Tarragon, and is suggested often for a substitute for it here in the
South, where the humidity makes growing Tarragon difficult. I believe it is
also sold under the name of Mexican Mint Marigold, though that may be a
separate variety. In the last few years some of the seed catalogs have also
sold a small variety of marigolds as salad herbs. The names, best I recall
are Lemon, Orange, and perhaps Tangerine Gems. Haven't tried them myself, but
these are coming from folks like Burpee, who would NOT sell a plant as edible
unless they were sure it was.

            Ldy Diana, who really needs to get more Tagetes lucidia this