SC - pewter casting & multiple feasts

Gwynydd of Culloden Gwynydd_of_Culloden at freemail.com.au
Mon Mar 20 01:09:09 PST 2000

Allison wrote:

>  That recipe doesn't appear to be one of the ones in the version I have,
>so if you have a chance to translate it, I'd like to have it, and the
>omelets, which seem to be missing, also.

Yes, these recipes are all in the younger Danish manuscript only. I´ll
probably have time to do them later this week.

>>>A dish called kloten en honær (chicken soup with meatballs)<<
>The dish by that name in His Grace's cookbook doesn't make me think of
>soup with meatballs, but I guess it could be done that way.

That is because the Icelandic and the older Danish manuscript seem to be
missing something but this is how the recipe is in the younger Danish
manuscript - I had already translated it loosely so here it is:

Mæn sculæ takæ en gamæl hønæ all heel. oc siuthæ. oc lithæ thæt sithæn
syndær. oc takæ sithæn et raat høns oc riuæ kiøøth i sma stikkæ oc latæ thær
flæsk til smath skoræt æssæ ærtæ. oc puluær af cumin, oc gøræ thær sma loot
af. oc latæ thæt i thæn sothæn hønsæ soth. oc latæ thær til cumin. oc wiin
oc safran. oc smolt matælik oc salt oc thiukkæ thættæ mæth æggi dydær. oc
siuthæ thæt.

One shall take a whole, old hen and boil it and then cut it up and then take
another raw chicken and tear the meat into small pieces and add lardons, cut
in pieces as small as peas, and ground cumin, and make small parts thereof,
and add this to the chicken broth, and add cumin, and wine, and saffron and
an appropriate amount of melted fat and salt, and thicken this with egg
yolks, and boil it.

Nanna