Units (was: SC - Mediaeval cookbooks to begin with)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Mar 23 19:58:17 PST 2000

Hallo folks. As promised, since I got some afirmative feedback, here is the
missive sent to those who are judging for Icedragon this year. To recap,
the author, Mistress Filipia, known as Cupbreaker, who is the coordinator
this year, has given permission to post it. She has based her commentary
upon the judging handbook printed by Mistress Cori Ghor of the Rhydderich
Hael in Aethelmearc, IIRC. This is not top secret information. Anyone can
pass it along to anyone else.

I hope this takes some of the mystery out of judging for you, and lets you
see how many issues you need to address with an entry in order to get top
marks, and humanises those faceless judges we all assume are uncaring.

Aoife
Filipia wrote <<top secret laurel stuff, names of judges, and time schedule
snipped>>:
Scoring :  this year we will be using a 10 point system for each of the 6
areas (documentation, workmanship, aesthetics, complexity, creativity, and
authenticity) to avoid the use of decimals.  Any decimals or fractions
appearing on a judge's sheet will be rounded to the next whole number.  I
will go over the 6 areas quickly, with apologies to Cori Ghora for
condensing her excellent Judges Handbook.  I would like everyone to try an
experiment this year - don't agonize over the numbers.  I want you all to
save your intellect for your commentary sheets.

1.  Documentation - more is not better; an intelligent discussion of
sources or quoting a source is better than a pile of photocopies.  Here is
a rough guideline:  anything on a 3x5 card = 1 point, citing 1 secondary or
tertiary source =4 points, citing 2 sources can = up to 6 points, 1 primary
and 1 secondary source up to 8 points, 2 primary sources can = 10 points if
accompanied by analysis.  There are some differences of opinion on what
comprise a primary or secondary source, so I will let your conscience be
your guide.

2.  Workmanship - normally very obvious:  neat, finished, no funky tastes,
and actually usable and functional as indicated by the documentation.

3. Aesthetics -  use this as how much you like the peice, or how sublimely
it captures period taste.

4.  Complexity - look at how many steps it took to create the peice, and
the difficulty of all of the steps, especially preparation of materials,
tools or parts, as well as the mass of time involved.

5.  Authenticity - use of authentic materials and processes as time,
budget, availability, and safety permit.  Don't penalize the substitution
of materials over these concerns.  If you have a source for a rare
material, please share that with the entrant.  If they relate a process in
the documentation but use another, without stated reason, use your
judgement.

6.  Creativity - is not the most unique use of a standard material.
Reserve your highest score for a peice that uses authentic techniques and
materials to create a completely unique item.  Equally important in our
society is the creative use of a modern technique or material to simulate
an authentic item.

Commentary Sheets

I think we have all been exposed to the 'sandwich' method of criticism:
compliment, criticise, compliment.  This is a way to couch criticism
gently, and works best if one of those compliments is an appreciation of
the effort they have expended on the peice.  I prefer to think of my
commentary as advice, rather than criticism, so that I am offering concrete
information to help them improve their works in the future.  Try to offer
sources for materials and research, or technique and finishing tips.  Avoid
empty statements; your comments should reflect  that you have read their
documentation.  Don't feel you have to comment on all entries, chose to
write on those items where you can make the most positive impact by your
advice.  Don't repeat someone else's commentary; refer to it if you want to
expand on it.  Please legibly sign all comments. I sometimes add my contact
information if I have a lot to offer a person, but that is a risk factor
you may chose to avoid.

Ethics - In this area, I must allow all of you to decide if you can
objectively judge entries in a variety of situations:  by friends, by those
you may dislike or have differing opinions with, styles or types of work
you dislike.  If you fear a conflict of interest, excuse yourself from from
the category, and let me know.  No questions asked.  Another aspect is
respect for the entries as you handle them, and the people who enter, as
you interact with them.  Treat your time in the Pent room as confidential,
and remember, don't say in private anything you wouldn't say in public.